Sheriff Ken Katsaris on Ted Bundy

Ted Bundy: Ken Katsaris’ Perspective


Between 1974 and 1978, serial killer Ted Bundy murdered at least 30 young women. He escaped captivity
twice, then was finally captured a final time in 1978. Sheriff Ken Katsaris worked in Florida on the Ted
Bundy case when Bundy committed murders there. One such case was at the Florida State University Chi
Omega sorority house, where Bundy went into the house, murdered two women, and attacked several
others. He oversaw Bundy’s capture, imprisonment, trial, and execution for the murders in Florida.


How did you get into law enforcement?


I was five years old when I had my first informant work. My father owned a restaurant around the corner
from the police station. He always invited the police officers for leftover pie, donuts and coffee at the end
of the day. They didn’t know, but he always made extra so that he’d have leftovers. I remember one
detective said they were working a special case. The man, who was drunk, was half a block away in an
alley, and they asked me to watch the man. So I did, and that was my beginning.


What has been the hardest part of your career?


Managing to remain very involved in family with my wife and children. Trying to direct my two
daughters without being overbearing. I try really hard to be a strong family man. All of my children and
16 grandchildren look up to me. I try to counsel them, not tell them what to do but show them how best to
navigate life.


What is the most vivid thing you remember about Bundy?


His eyes. They were riveting, especially when he was stressed. Other than that, my big impression was, if
I didn’t know what he had done, I would like this guy.


Why would you have liked him?


Same reason the girls did. The same reason they went with him. He was witty, charming, charismatic,
nice looking and very bright. When he was cleaned up he was clean cut. He tested into the genius level.


Did you ever think that crimes so gruesome could occur in your county?


Anything like that could happen at anytime, anywhere, but you don’t think he’ll end up in your town from
Colorado. I had already been involved in a serial murder case. You always have to be aware and vigilant,
without over-hyping it.


What did you do when the murders first occurred in Florida?


As sheriff, I immediately got on scene myself. Before I left Chi Omega, another crime scene developed
six blocks away. Another lady was attacked. You wouldn’t think anyone would commit a crime with so
many police officers in the area. I got a call from Colorado when I left. They had an escaped prisoner who
would attack women. They gave me Ted Bundy’s name. I didn’t give it much thought because that had
happened so far away. He had a totally different MO (modus operandi). His MO was to abduct the girl,
take her away, murder her, and then bury or dump her body. At Chi Omega, he went into the house and
attacked one girl after another.


How did you feel when the judge sentenced him with the death penalty?


I felt that justice was served. The quicker he was put on death row, the better. He was executed nine years
from sentencing. That is close to a record. A man who had a degree in criminology and psychology, two
years of law school, and was very bright. Executing a person like that was really unusual, but he had lost
all of his appeals.


How do you feel about the entire ordeal 41 years later?


I’m kind of glad that they’re reminding college age people about the potentials that are out there of
danger. However, I don’t think about it. It’s not just another case, but it has been a long time. I never once
talked about Ted Bundy in 41 years. Never. I finally decided that when the media wanted to interview me,
I would talk about it.


Why did you never talk about it?


I just didn’t want any attention. I don’t believe that police chiefs and sheriffs should get fame from doing
their job. There’s nothing famous about a sheriff who catches a killer like that. They’re doing their job.
Period.


Do you think all of the recent media - the documentary, the movie - do the story of Ted Bundy justice?


Some of it has. If it only saves one young lady’s life, then I think all of the media is worth it. It reminds
everybody that that person you meet could very well be your type, but, remember Ted Bundy.

*This interview has been edited and condensed

Sarah Lemon

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Andrew Pfefer Story

Habe Lawson's Wrongful Conviction